Liposuction is one of the most popular forms of Cosmetic Surgery internationally. Some of the highest percentages of procedures in every country are in this range of suction-assisted techniques.
The medical term – “suction assisted lipectomy” has been made more patient friendly by naming the procedure “Liposuction”. To further explain each technique there have been a range of “Lipo” words introduced:
- Lipo sculpture – Describes the technique of shaping the waist, hips and thighs to give a well proportioned silhouette.
- Liposhaping – refers to an all over removal of body fat to reduce overall size.
- Lipo structure – using small amounts of extracted body fat to re-shape the facial contour.
- Superficial Liposuction – Creates skin shrinkage by removing fat directly under the skin.
- Tridimensional Liposuction – Combining extraction of all 3 levels of fat to shape and lift the body and shrink the skin.
Liposuction is a day stay procedure, most surgeons will prefer to have their patients in a registered hospital, for minor procedures some will have a registered and accredited theatre attached to their own rooms.
Operating time will vary from 1 to 4 hours. Fat extracted can be from 500mls for 1 small area to 7 litres for body shaping. It is considered unwise to remove more than 7 litres in one operation.
- Tumescent – this remains the most popular method and involves the infiltration of saline in to the fat prior to extraction. This solution usually contains local anaesthetic and a constrictive agent. This combination loosens the fat, shrinks the blood vessels and anaesthetises the area, which enables the surgeon to remove fat more easily and reduce bruising.
- Areas Treated – almost any area can be treated. Most common are abdomen, hips, thighs, knees, upper arms, chin and cheek, male chests, female breasts, knees, calves and ankles. The fat removed can be transferred to fill or enhance facial or body contours.
Post operatively, the area is covered with a compression garment designed to hold the body in shape whilst the remaining fat compresses into the new contour. This garment is worn day and night for up to 6 weeks, but may be taken off for a short time daily for a shower or bath.
There may be some swelling; bruising and stiffness during the first week of recovery, however returning to normal activity should take only 1 to 2 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it painful?
During the operation, with proper care and an experienced medical team, the patient will not feel any pain. During the first 1 to 2 days of recovery, there may be some muscle soreness progressing to stiffness for several days. By 7 days post operatively the patient should be without any discomfort.
Will the fat return?
It is unlikely that fat cells will regrow, however those left behind can still increase in size causing a shape change. Attention to diet and maintenance is advised.
How much thinner will I be?
A patient could reasonably expect to reduce 1 garment size; however, this is not a weight reduction technique. Liposuction creates a better body shape.
What are the costs?
From $3,300 + hospital & anaesthetic
What is the next step?
Give us all of your questions via live chat, make an appointment for a free consultation or book to see a surgeon.
This information is not intended as medical advice.
Any medical questions should be discussed with your surgeon as part of the decision making process.
Pamela Noon 2020